Friday, September 21, 2007

The Mozzer in Mexico.


Last night I went to the Morrissey show in Tijuana at El Foro with Ikah and Saul and a flock of Mexicans. The venue was a renovated Jai Alai arena, all old and perfect. The whole place had a 3,000 person capacity, and the floor was so small you could stand almost anywhere and see the stage perfectly, not mention the fact that I seemed to be at least a head taller than three quarters of the crowd anyway. The show beat the shit out of the last Morrissey show I saw at the Embarcadero in San Diego. The sound, the performance, the crowd, the ambiance, everything went well.

It was funny to hear Morrissey address the Spanish speaking crowd, too. He spoke very deliberately although too sparsely, telling anecdotes about getting pulled over by la Policia on the drive in that day and his plans to sell watermelons from a bicycle on Revolucion after the show. The crowd seemed to be somehow more courteous than the usual barbarians at a show stateside. One of the obligatory shirts tossed to the crowd was held onto by five young hands for at least four songs before being ripped to shreds. They just kept a tight grip and sang along like everyone else.

Some songs from the set included: Billy Bud, Disappointed, You Have Killed Me, Life Is A Pigsty, In The Future When All's Well, I Just Want To See the Boy Happy, Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (with a false start by the band), First Of The Gang To Die, Irish Blood, English Heart, The National Front Disco, Stretch Out And Wait, How Soon Is Now?, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before, and Death Of A Disco Dancer. I can't wait for October first!

After the show all of us walked over to Franc's for food. It was amazing! Totally authentic. The place is almost like a taco stand but with tables and roll-down steel gates in front. For some reason I just feel at home in a grimey setting like that. I ate three quesadillas with beans, salsa, and guacamole, paid my $8, and then we took a $5 cab back to the border. I had a great time down there. I think my opinion of TJ has officially changed now that I went with some people who know the place. What a great night...