Friday, August 1, 2008

Diplo Bites Me Part II

Huh... I actually got a response from my email to Mad Decent. If you haven't read the blog before this one, then do that and then come back here.

----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: MAD DECENT
Date: 01 Aug 2008, 11:03



Hey Dimitri,

This is DJA, the engineer and producer at mad decent who suggested we start using black metal influenced design. We all actually do enjoy black metal music (especially me, i've been aware and listening to it in various forms since I was a kid in the 90s) We don't think its a joke.

I really like the darkthrone style logo on the first few. Why would you get so mad about this? We aren't blatently stealing anything from you, we weren't aware of your fliers before we made any mad decent related black metal style imagery.

The thing with Vice, i dunno. Didnt that guy do a photo style thing like 4-5 years ago and just now Vice decided just recently to flip it for a kinda half baked article?

derek

+++++++++++++++++++ Here's my response +++++++++++++++++++++++


Hello, Derek.

Thanks for your quick response. I guess my reaction is kind of pointless, now that I think about it. The thing is, which I explained in my first email, that for people who know about Booty Bassment, the flier art always comes part in parcel. What I mean is that people know when they see some weird corpsepainted dude standing in front of a Rolls Royce on 20's parked in front of a burning church that it is a Booty Bassment event. So, when I see other people in the "dj world" using the imagery from black metal, it is just too close for comfort. I don't feel as though I'm being unreasonable about this.

I suppose it was bound to happen at some point. But when I came up with the idea to mix the stark black and white photocopied images of black metal with the misogynistic and opulent imagery of modern rap, no one was doing it. Like I said, most people didn't even know what black metal was.

The fliers I make are more than just an advertisement for me. My first concern with each one is the image. This is why I am upset. Because I have been doing this event for almost 6 years and I have made every single flier for every event. That is one a month for 6 years in San Diego, one a month for almost two years in San Francisco, and a couple for our recent Los Angeles events.

I guess it is just another trend that is bound to play itself out (see examples)-

http://flickr. com/photos/dimitridickinson/2385440893/

http://flickr. com/photos/dimitridickinson/2722465229/

Thanks for your time.

D