Monday, February 25, 2008

A sweet sad moment at the laundromat.

This evening, I got off work early. I decided that I would spend the rest of my night doing laundry, like a good little bitch.

So, there I was at the laundromat, trying to concentrate on my book over the deafening clamour of rattling washers and driers, Telemundo, and the shrill voice of a 5 year old girl (also in Spanish.) The girl was clad in pink (naturally) and running circles around the place, yelling for her "mami." I looked up at her as she reached her little brown hand out to me, as if to give me something. She opened her hand, and in her palm she held a small silver heart. I smiled and held out my hand to accept her gift. She promptly closed her hand and skipped off, smiling wide. I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the situation, and my life for that matter, and she did too. They learn young these days, I suppose.

No comments: